Paddle, snorkel and explore the reefs and white-sand cayes of Glover’s Atoll
Forty-five kilometres off the southern coast of the tiny Latin American nation of Belize, amid unbelievably turquoise waters, sits Glover’s Reef—a 32-kilometre-long oval-shaped atoll with a picture-perfect lagoon that forms part of the Belize Barrier Reef. Belize is world-renowned for its perfect waters and a world-class destination for snorkeling and diving. With more than 850 reef patches and pinnacles, Glover’s offers one of the most diverse varieties of reefs in all of the western Caribbean, teeming with marine life in spectacular crystal-clear waters! Short but impactful, this blissful trip will leave a lasting impression.
You’ll stay in a luxury safari-style base camp on the remote 13-acre Southwest Caye in the Glover’s Reef Marine Reserve. The camp includes canvas-walled cabanas right on the beach, while meals are comprised of fresh and succulent local seafood, fruit and local delicacies. After being shuttled by boat from the mainland port of Dangriga, you spend the next three days sea kayaking (paddling or sailing), snorkeling, stand-up paddleboarding or scuba diving (at additional cost). Or, you lay back and enjoy the desert-island feel and engage in a little birdwatching, photography, swimming or relaxing on idyllic white-sand beaches.
Highly suitable for active families, first-timers or even seasoned pros who want to explore this spectacular part of the Mesoamerican Reef system as well as Caribbean life. A great trip on its own, it also makes an ideal add-on that can be combined with other Belizean adventures or Caribbean travels (Island Expeditions offers “extension” options), including rainforest expeditions or exploring the region’s mystical Mayan ruins.
As a final FYI: Island Expeditions have been offering trips to Belize since 1987 and are pioneers in sustainable tourism. They brought the first sea kayaks and stand-up paddleboards to the country, and have always prided themselves on hiring the most experienced guides and dive-masters, as well as fostering beneficial relationships with local communities. Just so you know!
- Exploring Glover’s Atoll, a protected marine park of 36 miles offshore mainland Belize
- Enjoy flexibility—do things as a group or individually, making it ideal for families and couples of mixed capabilities
- Paddle, kayak sail, fish or SUP as you explore the tropical islands. Snorkel some of the 700 patch reefs in this thriving coral reef system
- Some trip departures feature a guest yoga instructor
- Overall activities: swimming, stand-up paddleboarding, snorkeling, sea kayaking (paddling), sailing, scuba-diving, fishing, yoga
- Phone: 800.667.1630 or 604.894.2312
- SM: @islandexpeditions, @IslandExp
- Length/Depart: 5 days/weekly, November 2019 to April 2020
- Accommodation: Southwest Caye Glover’s Reef Base camp, a 13-acre island, comfortable, safari-style tent cabanas
- Price: from $1,449 CDN; $1,229 USD
- Group size: 6 to 22 people per trip; 2 to 6 guides
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate
- Note: A 7-night option on this trip is also available. And this trip can be combined with other Island Expeditions tours as extensions. Ask about combining them.