This riveting 9-day, 6-river itinerary from Gurung River Guides Adventures (GRG Adventures)—an exclusively in-country Nepali tour operator that specializes in guided river adventures—will take you across the Nepal via whitewater and paddle. How cool is it to explore this stunningly-beautiful, awe-inspiring Himalayan gem of a country by paddle, with incredible mountain vistas as your travelling companions?!
This itinerary is for intermediate to experienced kayakers, and covers 7 rivers in just 9 days. You need to be a confident Class III to IV boater, with a solid roll, to do this trip. (However, this is considered a suggested itinerary, and can be lengthened/shortened to suit your schedule, and other rivers can be considered. GRG also says this trip can be downgraded to suite Class III paddlers. Get in contact with operator for details.)
Day 1 Trisuli River. A three-hour drive from Kathmandu, a warm-up river that gets you acclimatized to the big volume whitewater in Nepal and Himalayan-style paddling. You paddle to a rest-stop/camp for a spot of tea, then are driven to the popular town of Lakeside Pokhara. Overnight in Pokhara. (Class II-III+ rapids)
Day 2 Upper Seti River, 40-minutes from Pokhara. A run with whitewater and views of the Annapurna Mountain region. It’s a short run (an hour and a half), but river is steeper and creakier than the Trisuli (many paddlers have compared it to paddling in the Alps). With more continuous rapids, and the Himalayas looming behind you. Overnight again in Pokhara. (Class III-IV)
Day 3 Modi River. You take on the bolder garden that is the Modi, possibly the hardest river on the trip. Note that depending on time of year, the river can get extremely low and may be excluded from the itinerary. However, it’s thought the favourite river of the trip by many. Overnight in Pokhara. (Class IV)
Day 4 Rest day in Pokhara. Just relax, or take a boat onto the lake, trek to the World Peace Pagoda, view the Himalayan Mountains from Sarankot, go mountain biking, paragliding or have a ride on possibly the world’s highest zipline. There are other adventure options on offer that GRG can arrange.
Day 5 Head east to Marsyangdi River for two days of the most thrilling whitewater in Nepal! Depending on your ability, there are different sections available to run, with initial plan to do the upper section from Bhulebhule to Besishar—this depends on peoples’ paddling abilities, and lower sections may be better options. Overnight at a tea-house. (Class III-V)
Day 6 Lower Marsyangdi. Plan is to run from Bhotewodar to Tuture—but again, this depends on section done day before, and on group’s overall paddling abilities. After the day’s paddling, head back to Kathmandu to spend a night. (Class III-V)
Day 7 Lower Bhote Kosi, toward the Tibet border. Stay in a riverside resort, with swimming pool, pool table, bar and thatched tents. (Class III-V)
Day 8 Balephi. Taking a break from the big volume Himalayan rivers to enjoy more of a creaking-style river. (Class III-IV)
Day 9 Upper Bhote Kosi, and your final day on a Himalayan river, with nonstop Class IV rapids. If you feel your paddling ability is not up to the upper section, you can paddle on the lower Bhote Kosi. (Class IV-V overall.) Tour ends with a drop-off in Kathmandu, where you must have your own accommodation.
[divider]Important Guidelines from GRG[/divider]
- Every person travelling with GRG must purchase/have their own travel insurance policy that covers them for the activity they’re participating in.
- During training sessions, please listen to guides and all instructions. “River rafting safety is serious business, and it is at the front of our minds at all times.” (GRG’s Adventure Kayaking)
- GRG Adventure Kayaking/Gurung River Guides describes itself as “whitewater rafting and kayaking specialists.” For more info on this local tour operator, see website. For more info on its certifications, click here.
GRG’s Adventure Kayaking
- Phone/international inquiries: +977 9849453583
- Whats App: +44 7780726907
- Email: [email protected]
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/grgadventurekayaking
- Length/Departs: 9 days/Nov. 2019, March, April, May 2020 trips scheduled, to date; end of Sept. to early Dec., March to May typically. You can also ask about custom dates.
- Accommodations: Hotels
- Price: from £750 per person (GBP)
- Difficulty: Moderate to challenging: primarily Class III to Class V rapids paddling.