India is one of those bucket-list destinations—the kind you think about for years, then just decide you have to see before you depart the planet. If you’re that person, this may be a great option to consider: a two-week Delhi-to-Delhi tour that takes in some of India’s most magnificent northern destinations at a very affordable price.
Bedazzling Delhi (intense, lively, colourful, history-filled, pulsing with culture), the serene Taj Mahal, the lakes of Orchha, the “Pink City”of Jaipur “whose streets represent the ancient Hindu map of the universe,” says Tucan Travel. Here are details of travelling in a country so diverse, expansive and ancient it’s known as a subcontinent.
Day 1 Arrive Delhi. Take a tour of this lively, ancient city that bedazzles with colour and cacophony. Take a rickshaw (or motorized rickshaw) to see the sites like the Gandhi Memorial Museum, the Red Fort or Humayun’s Tomb near Hazrat Nizamuddin station, one of Delhi’s three UNESCO heritage sites.
Day 2&3 Jaipur. Jaipur is (the state of) Rajasthan’s capital, known as the “Pink City” because of its pink-wash buildings. Check out its bazaars, palaces and havelis, the Nahargarh (Tiger Fort). Enjoy one full day to explore the city on your own terms.
Day 4&5 Agra. Travel by train to Agra, home to the Taj Mahal. And visit the Agra Fort and Tomb of Itimad-Ud-Daulah. Free time to explore on your own, with optional excursions available.
Day 6&7 Orchha. Visit the Ram Temple, enjoy a heritage walk around the city, spend time along the Betwa River, where several historical monuments (temples, fort) are located.
Day 8 Basari Village. Spend time with the locals of quaint Basari.
Day 9 Khajuraho. The temples of Khajuraho have become legendary for travellers and architecture fans alike—they are stunning intricate and beautiful.
Day 11 Varanasi. Varanasi is one of the longest-inhabited cities in the world, and one of India’s most holy cities, with the famed River Ganges defining its spirit. Head to the river’s holy ghats (steps leading to the water), take a purifying dip if desired, enjoy an evening boat trip to view the river and city from a panoramic angle, wander the city defined by its maze of alleyways and markets.
Day 12 Overnight train to Delhi.
Day 13&14 Delhi. Enjoy free time in one of the world’s great cities on your last day of the trip.
- You travel by private vehicle, minibus, train and overnight train
- Group tour: size runs 4-19 people, with average size 10
- For ages 18 to 65 (a guideline only)
- Optional excursions/activities available on daily/destination basis to accommodate diverse interests of group (see full itinerary at operator site for options)
- Phone: 855.566.8660 (available 24 hours)
- SM: @tucantraveladventures, @TucanTravel, @tucantravel
- Length/Departs: 14 days/Dec. 2019 & Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr., May, June, Aug., Sept., Oct. 2020
- Accommodations: mostly hotels, with two nights on sleeper trains
- Sale price now (booking fall 2019): from $1,115. to $1,133. CDN + local pymnt US$170 [reg. price for this trip is $1,800)
- Difficulty: Easy