The Annapurna Circuit in the Nepali Himalayas has long been one of the top on a serious trekker’s bucket-list, and this version from World Expeditions is well worth considering!
Not only as a treat-yourself-to-a-special-post-pandemic travel experience, but because the tour is well supported (what you want for a serious trek in unfamiliar territory), and will follow strict health and hygiene safety protocols set out by World Expeditions.
One of the best elements of an Annapurna trip is its length — here, you get 18 days of travelling, acclimatizing and trekking across the spectacular geography of the Himalayas (their valleys! passes! views!), all while exploring Nepali and Tibetan Buddhist culture as well as flying in and out of Kathmandu.
World Expeditions has designed an itinerary that follows the usual circuit around the Annapurna massif, but includes treks into the Nar Valley and the former Kingdom of Mustang, Hindu villages, Tibetan Buddhist settlements, alpine meadows, the Kang La Pass, and going north of the Great Himalayan Divide onto the Tibetan Plateau. You will follow the Kali Gandaki Valley, one of the deepest gorges on the planet, and come face to face with the massifs of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri, which contains the 7th-highest peak on the planet.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, more than it is a trip or trek. A chance to venture back out into the wide-open wondrous spaces of the world if just to feel the glory of this planet.
- Exploring Kathmandu, Nepal’s iconic, ancient and almost mystical capital city.
- Spectacular geography and the mountains of Mustang, Nepal, and Western Tibet.
- 2 high mountain pass crossings: Kang La (at 5,320 metres) and Thorong La (at 5,416 m)
- Exploring the Nar Valley.
- Getting up close and personal to Mt. Manaslu, the 8th-highest mountain on the planet at 8,156 metres (26,759 feet).
- Flying over the Himalayas from Kathmandu to Pokhara and Jomsom.
- Trekking in the Himalayas across valleys, plateaus and foothills on average 4-6 hours (sometimes less; other days more).
WORLD EXPEDITIONS | Annapurna Circuit via Kang La and Nar
Length/Departs: 18 days; for current dates, contact operator directly.
Accommodation: “Fully serviced wilderness campsites” + hotels in Kathmandu.
Price: from approx. $ 3,690. CDN for 18 days, but must verify current pricing directly with operator.
Difficulty: ask operator for guidance, as altitude is a major factor.
Note: according to World Expeditions: “This trip is 100% Carbon Offset.”