Discover this fantastic South American coastal gem, from its cities to its volcanoes, its markets to its mountains. You start in the capital city of colonial Quito—high in the Andes and a UNESCO heritage site—where you literally straddle the equator.
Then begin an Avenues of the Volcanoes tour by heading to Cotopaxi National Park, home to the highest active volcano in the world. You will spend the night in a restored hacienda (ranch house) and watch for wild horses and birdlife. Enjoy the hot springs in Banos, or head out for some hiking or mountain biking. You will take in Ecuador’s prized highest peak, Chimborazo, then ride the country’s famed Devil’s Nose Train to see the Inca ruins of Ingapirca, before maybe picking up a Panama hat in Cuenca.
- See Quito’s San Francisco Square, its famous cathedral and the 150-foot tower at La Merced
- Trek, hike and bike around the volcanic hot springs of Banos, before setting off on a waterfall adventure surrounded by mountainous peaks
- Walk around cozy Cuenca, a historic city filled with lush greenery and colorful markets
Ideal South America
- Phone: 800-820-7932
- Length/Departs: 8 days / year-round
- Accommodation: Hotel, hacienda
- Price: US$1,395
- Difficulty: Easy