At more than 3,600 metres, La Paz is the highest capital city in the world, in the heart of the Andes, and the starting point for this two-week mountain-jungle adventure. You begin by touring the city, then catch the train southwest to Uyuni. You will travel by 4×4 to the vats salt flats that Bolivia is known for and watch for flamingos in local lagoons.
Gaze at volcanoes and abstract rock formations, or take a dip in a hot spring. Then you continue to the quaint towns of Potosi and Sucre, before heading to the Amazon rainforest town of Rurrenabaque. From here you will explore the jungle, the pampas and river systems in search of Amazonian wildlife, before returning to La Paz.
- Smell the wafting scents of Hedionda Lagoon, a.k.a. Stinky Lagoon—a smelly region that lives up to its name with excess sulfur, which is en route to the famous rock formations of the Siloli Desert
- Visit the stunning white buildings of Sucre, where Bolivia was declared an independent republic in 1825
- Trek the jungles around Rurrenabaque, rife with unique local flora and birds such as macaws, parrots and parakeets
- Enjoy a full tour of La Paz, the dazzling colonial capital and a culinary delight in its own
- Phone: 011-44-203-725-8921
- Length/Departs: 15 days / Apr.–Nov.
- Accommodation: Hotel, hostel
- Price: $3,079
- Difficulty: Easy