In a country of seemingly relentless natural beauty—the mountains! the valleys! the lakelands and grasslands!—the Milford Sound fiord on New Zealand’s South Island still manages to be a spectacular standout. Designed for uber-keen trekkers, this two-week hiking extravaganza covers Milford Sound, as well as South Island’s other legendary trails, such as the Routeburn, Milford and Kepler tracks.
You will visit Fiordland, Mount Aspiring, Paparoa and Aoraki Mount Cook national parks, hitting topography that runs the gamut from beach to rainforest to glacial. You will cruise Milford Sound and even overnight on Doubtful Sound during this incredible hiking adventure.
- Hike the Inland Pack Track through limestone canyons and dense rainforest, then along the Punakaiki coastline, where you can see wild blue penguins and dolphins
- Trek from the stunning Diamond Lake track, carved by ice-age glaciers and peppered with shrubs and forest and shrubland, to the lovely village of Arrowtown before settling into a postcard-perfect lakefront hotel in the heart of Queenstown
- Experience the once-in-a-lifetime Milford Sound for days, climbing a series of switchbacks across McKinnon Pass to see the deep majesty of the Arthur Valley, spying the mighty Sutherland Falls, cruising around the fiord and spotting the local wildlife
- Phone: 800-661-9073
- Length/Departs: 14 days / Jan-Mar, Nov, Dec
- Accommodation: Hotel, lodge, ship
- Price: $8,099
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate